Here's how we handle your personal information.The best relationships are built on trust and transparency. We take our role seriously when it comes to respecting your privacy and how your personal information is used when you share it with us.
Municipal Employees Credit Union of Baltimore, Inc. (MECU) respects the privacy of its members. Protecting the privacy of your personal information, along with your financial assets, is at the core of our business. It is our goal to protect your information in every way in which we interact with you, whether it be in a branch, over the telephone, by mail, or online through the Internet.
We exercise great care in safeguarding your information in our business dealings with non-affiliated companies with whom we do business. In addition, both state and federal law impose on us an affirmative and continuing obligation to protect the security and confidentiality of your information. You can be confident that your financial privacy is one of MECU's top priorities. We are required by the GrammLeach-Bliley Act of 1999 to provide this privacy notice to explain how we collect, use and safeguard your personal financial information.
Online Privacy Notice
The U.S. Online Privacy Notice applies to MECU’s online interface (website, online account opening, Mobile Applications and Online Banking). This Online Privacy Notice describes how MECU collects, uses, shares and protects information from or about you through these environments.
During online account opening and banking sessions, we collect personal information that you provide to us, such as your e-mail address, mailing address and telephone number. Like all other information you provide to the credit union, our policy on sharing this information with third parties applies to online transactions.
We use this information to:
- Respond to inquiries
- Provide account alerts
- Provide information to you about our products and services
- Provide information regarding the website, upcoming changes, etc.
- Personalize your experience on the website by tailoring products and offers to you
- Send you surveys, sweepstakes, contests and similar promotions
When transacting through Online Banking, we protect your personal information through encryption. Encryption turns all Internet communications between you and the credit union into a string of unrecognizable numbers that are completely useless in the highly unlikely event of a breach. This information is only decoded for the purpose of completing the transaction or servicing your account. This process safeguards your session from intruders.
If you are browsing a MECU website, our web server collects other information using common industry methods, which includes:
- Cookies – we may assign “cookies” to your Internet browser. A “cookie” is stored on your local hard drive through the browser and contains a unique sequence of text for identification purposes.
- Browser information – we collect certain information from browsers, such as, your device type, operating system version, and Internet browser type and version.
We use this information to:
- Enable features on the website
- Ensure the site is operating properly and to assist in preventing non-authorized users from accessing your information
- Continuously drive user experience and content improvements and to analyze the success of our marketing and communication efforts
MECU uses Google Analytics to support with performing data migration and information. The four (4) analytical services that we use are:
- Google Analytics = Basic analytics such as sessions, users, page views, pages per session, average session duration, bounce rate and percent of new sessions.
- Google AdSense = An advertising placement service that is designed for website publishers who want to display text, video or image advertisements on website pages.
- Google Display Network Impression Reporting = Allows us to enable features in Analytics that are not through the standard implementations. By enabling this feature we are able to collect data about our website traffic via Google advertising cookies and identifiers.
- Google Demographics and Interests Reporting = Provides data about the age and gender of our website users, along with the interests these users express through their online travel and purchasing activities.
These technologies are not used to connect web browsing information to the real identities of our members, and do not capture any personal information.