We're dedicated to making Baltimore a better place to live
Since 1936, MECU Credit Union has been committed to supporting the local communities we serve. Through philanthropic efforts, education and scholarship programs, and community outreach, we are dedicated to improving the quality of life for all Baltimore residents.
MECU provides financial support to 100+ charitable organizations who are working to make Baltimore, Maryland a better place to live. We support local nonprofits in areas such as youth empowerment and education, community development, and arts and culture. Some of our community partners include Arts Every Day, Baltimore City YouthWorks, Maryland Food Bank, Villa Maria and Helping Up Mission.
MECU offers employees paid volunteer time to encourage volunteering. Some of the organizations supported by our volunteers include Maryland Food Bank, Hope & Grace Mission, Cystic Fibrosis Foundation, American Diabetes Association, Junior Achievement and Our Daily Bread.
Community Outreach & Financial Education
- Financial seminars and workshops– MECU hosts free financial workshops on topics such as building credit, buying your first home and money management.
- Financial calculators– Saving or investing? Borrowing or buying? Plug some figures into one of MECU's easy-to-use free online calculators and get the information you need to make smart decisions.
- Financial wellness courses– MECU’s levelUP Financial Wellness® program helps improve your money management skills with the tools and advice you need to reach your financial goals.
- Financial coaching– MECU provides no-cost access to financial advisors who can help members with debt counseling, credit reports and much more.
- Partner Schools – MECU proudly support our local schools with reading literacy initiatives and financial education for young students.
- Money Power Day – MECU is a founding member of Money Power Day, the region’s largest free financial fitness fair. Learn more
Arts Every Day Arts Challenge Fund
In partnership with Arts Every Day, MECU has committed $200,000 over four years to expand access to arts and music education in Baltimore City Public Schools. MECU’s annual contribution will help establish the Arts Challenge Fund, with matching grants for Public Schools principals who expand and sustain arts instruction. In addition, MECU will be the exclusive sponsor of MECU Music Ed/Remix, a new program that will enable local musicians to collaborate with Baltimore City Public Schools students on original works, record those compositions, and stage two performances over a single school year.
MECU College Scholarships
Since 2007, MECU has provided more than 100 scholarships totaling more than $110,000 to students pursuing higher education. MECU has partnered with CollegeBound Foundation to award 10 annual $1,000 “Merit and Service” Scholarships to Baltimore high school seniors who achieve high academic performance or demonstrate a commitment to community service. Learn more about MECU College Scholarships.