What Is A Credit Union?
Why Choose a Credit Union Over a Bank
Credit unions are financial institutions formed by an organized group of people with a common bond. Credit Unions are not-for-profit cooperatives that are owned by its members, whereas other financial institutions are owned by stockholders.
We’re similar to banks – only better. Credit unions like MECU exist solely for the purpose of meeting the financial needs of our members. At MECU, our mission is to provide members with high quality financial services through sound management and innovation.
To provide high quality financial services to our members and outstanding service to our communities through sound management and innovation.
Why Join MECU
Credit Unions generally offer lower loan rates, higher savings rates and fewer/lower service fees. These are just a few of the benefits returned to MECU members.
More Ways Members Reap The benefits Of MECU Membership
- MECU’s members have been receiving a bonus dividend* and loan interest rebate* paid twice a year, every year, since 1981. That means you earn more money on your deposit accounts than just the stated rate and you get back a portion of the already low interest rate you pay on your loans. What bank would do that?
- You’ll receive “member-only” discounts on a variety of products such as auto insurance, loan and vehicle protection plans, life insurance, cars, rentals, cell phone plans, etc.
- No high pressure sales. Our mission is to serve our members and by doing the right thing to ensure your financial stability and well being. Our purpose is to help you and your family, not to maximize revenue for the purpose of making stockholders money.
- You’ll have access to the same products and services offered by the big banks – only better. Because serving our members is our primary mission, we can focus our efforts on offering innovative products and services that meet your needs – not those that simply generate the most profits.
- We hold monthly workshops on Credit Repair and Buying a Home that help people improve their credit and be in a better position to buy a home.
- MECU also sponsors and participates in numerous outreach programs to help strengthen the communities and members in which we serve.
Give us a chance to show you we take pride in our members. You’ve got nothing to lose and a lot (maybe hundreds or thousands…of dollars) to gain!
*Subject to annual board approval. Must be a member in good standing.