Shop Maryland Tax-Free Week (Aug. 13-19) is a great time to shop for all the school supplies, clothes and other items families need to start the school year off prepared. For those looking to make the most of their dollar, MECU has a few tips.
- Make your plan ahead of time. Be sure to plan your shopping trip so that it coincides with the state’s tax-free week. Think about not just what you need that day, but what you and your kids might need over the course of the school year.
- Search around for the best deal. Why limit your savings to sales tax? Shoppers who look for the best prices, as well as those who utilize coupons, will get the most out of tax-free week.
- Know the tax-free week fine print. Not all clothing, footwear and accessories are eligible for tax exemption. For example, sweaters, shirts, pants, dresses, underwear, belts and shoes and must be priced at $100 or less to qualify. Additionally, only the first $40 of a backpack will be tax exempt.
- Remember, online is an option. Items purchased and delivered during tax-free week are eligible for tax exemption. Items purchased on backorder and items charged and shipped after Aug. 19, however, are not.
- Stick to the list. This time of year, most schools provide a list of supplies needed for each classroom.
- It’s not all about the school supplies. While much of the promotion around Shop Maryland Tax-Free Week focuses on stocking up for school, savvy shoppers can use the opportunity to stock up on work clothes, bags and other items.
Before you start your shopping, make sure you’re ready to make the most of Shop Maryland Tax-Free Week. Use these tips to shop smart and remember, MECU is Baltimore’s Credit Union.
Established in 1936, MECU is Baltimore City’s largest credit union, with assets of approximately $1.2 billion. MECU has nine branches throughout the Baltimore area and offers a full range of financial products and services. The credit union also provides access to over 30,000 free ATMs and 5,000 shared branches nationwide through the CO-OP network. For 37 years straight, MECU has distinguished itself in the Baltimore community by returning more than $80 million in profits to its members as part of a cash bonus program that rewards members for choosing MECU. Membership with MECU is open to anyone who lives, works, worships or attends school in Baltimore City.